6.30.2009

fasting...

i've stopped eating. for the next week i will attempt to live off of water, natural-ish fruit juices, and the occasional coffee.
i decided to start fasting because i thought it would be cool (go figure). then i realized if i'm going to empty my body out, that would be a great opportunity to introduce myself to healthier eating choices.
the most significant effect of my fast so far though, is the break in routine. eating is so common, it's has become little more than a habit. if you offer me food, my default response is to accept. i almost always do something else when i eat- talk with my mouth full, surf the internet, or watch tv. on the first day of my fast, my impulse to eat came not from hunger, but the desire to feel the texture of food in my mouth.
not eating makes me realize that something is different - something needs to change, which is very needed right now, since i've gotten extremely comfortable in a space i don't want to be in.
this is the morning of the second day of my fast. last night was rough, but today has been good so far.

4 comments:

jasiatic said...

yo!!!!! you cant have coffee in a fast. sorry i gotta put my foot down for this one. the only way you can have coffee is as an enema :/

CHD:WCK! said...

i CAN have coffee on a fast!, but it did pretty much serve as an enema (sorry tmi). i won't be drinking coffee every day like i usually do, but i will occassionally have some coffee.
it's going well though. i'm really not very hungry. whenever i have the impulse to eat i drink juice. and then i drink water to keep myself full.

MOYE said...

Your fast is what you make it bro...journey through the various ways to approach and submit to it...its quite an entrance into awesome things

Anonymous said...

During I fast I recommend reading Dick Gregory's "Eating With Mother Nature" or and Nation of Islam text titled "Eat to Live Not Live To Eat".

peace and blessings,
1518